This month, for Taste and Create, I was paired with Nicole herself (whose idea this event is) and got the chance to go through her recipe archives.
The first time I decided to go through her recipes from her blog, For The Love Of Food. I was in for a bit of a shock. Apparently, some nut had erased most of the posts from her blog! Imagine how terrible it can be to see all your hard work just disappearing overnight. As Nicole herself puts it to the person behind this awful deed, “I hope that you find cockroaches in your shoes the next time you slip your feet in!”
Though some of her posts are gone for ever, she and her husband have managed to put a lot of them back on her blog and are continuing working on the matter.
What I did find find on Nicole’s blog was lots of vegetarian recipes. And I’m going to try some of them for sure. But for this particular event, I chose to make some Four Grain Pancakes. You might need to adjust the amount of liquid if your pancake bateer is too thick or a dd a little flour if it is too runny.
(Please note that the links to the original recipe no longer exist)
Nicole's Four Grain Pancakes
- 3/4 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup corn meal
- 2 Cups flour all- purpose 1 /
- 1/3 cup oats rolled
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Cups milk
- 1/3 Cup butter melted or oil
- 3 tbsps honey
- 2 eggs , beaten
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and stir well until there are no longer lumps in the batter. Adjust the thickness/thin-ness by adding more flour or more milk.
- On medium-high heat, heat a griddle until hot. Reduce the heat to low if you are working with a gas range. Lightly grease the griddle with some cooking oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until bubbles form and burst open on the surface of the pancake. Flip the pancakes and cook another 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm between 2 plates.