Mangoes were very much around this summer, and I tried packing as much of it into our meals as I could. Fresh fruit is really the best way to eat mango and we did plenty of that. Mango is never unwelcome in our home, fresh or in any other form. Today I’m sharing my Egg Free Mango Passion Fruit Gelato.
I might have mentioned previously that my husband and I are going vegan for a couple of months. So, it means no milk or milk products which are normally a part of our diet. The lack of milk or cream wasn’t stopping me from making Gelato.
I used coconut milk because it goes very well with mangoes and passion fruit. We also like the flavor of coconut very much. You can use soy milk if you prefer or whole milk if going vegan isn’t a compulsion. You can also add the flesh of an avocado if you want added creaminess in your Gelato.
There’s not much of a recipe really, for this Egg Free Mango Passion Fruit Gelato. All it takes is blending all the ingredients till smooth and freezing it till it’s done. If you have an ice-cream machine use that. Otherwise, use this method like I did.
Not everyone likes the crunch of passion fruit. I do, so what I do with passion fruit is to strain the pulp and keep some of the seeds aside. I then mix in the seeds after the last time I break up the frozen Gelato. If you’re using a machine, just stir in the seeds just before you scrape the mixture into the freezing bowl.
The passion fruit I get here is usually sweet with a hint of tartness. If your passion fruit or mangoes are just sweet, I would suggest you add a couple of teaspoons of lime juice to add a hint of tartness to the Gelato. It really does make a difference in taste.
Egg Free Mango Passion Fruit Gelato
- 4 cups peeled and chopped mango
- 1 cup passion fruit pulp
- 1 cup thick coconut milk/ soy milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar adjust to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp passion fruit seeds from pulp optional
- Blend all the ingredients except the seeds, till smooth. Pour into a metal container, cover and freeze till set.
- Take the Gelato out and run it till smooth in your food processor to break the crystals. Scrape back into the container and freeze till set. Once again run in the processor till smooth. Mix in the seeds and return to the freezer.
- If the Gelato has set very hard, take it out of the freezer and refrigerate it for an hour to soften. Serve with sauce and toppings of your choice. Fresh chopped mango and passion fruit sauce are excellent choices.
A g says
I wish I stay somewhere nearby to visit & taste all your preparation !!!!!!