A cousin of mine came over to lunch yesterday. She and husband are moving to Kochi next month and she was in town to see apartments and such stuff. We had rice, ladiesfinger (okra) sambar, a carrot and tomato salad, chickpea and cabbage curry with yogurt, of course!
Here is how to put together the curry. It is healthy (very little oil and low on calories), tasty and very easy to make. The only thing is you need to have cooked chickpeas on hand.
I usually soak larger quantities of chickpeas, cook and drain them well. Then I divide them into convenient portions and freeze them. This way, whenever I need chickpeas for some cooking, I can defrost/ thaw them.
Chickpea & Cabbage Curry (GF, V)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas cooked (firm and not mushy)
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsps urad dal
- 1/4 tsp asafetida powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 - 3 green chillies , slit lengthwise
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- to taste salt
- Cook the cabbage in the microwave at 100% for 7 minutes.
- Heat the oil, add the mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add the urad dal and allow to brown slightly. Now add the asafetida powder, chillies and curry leaves. Stir once, then add the cabbage, chickpeas, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook for about 2 -3 minutes. Take off heat. Serve warm.
- If you donu2019t use a microwave, after adding the curry leaves add the cabbage and xbd a cup of water. Allow to cook till dry then add the chickpeas, etc and proceed. It will taste as good, only take slightly longer to make.