Cupcakes are just the thing when you would like to eat satisfy that urge to eat cake without having to bake a big one. You can scale down (or up) the numbers to suit your requirement. And there is something special about peeling off the paper cup and eating a cake, even though small, that is just yours.
And if I have to decorate them, given my mediocre cake decorating skills, I don’t feel threatened the way I do when I face the task of decorating a big cake!
These cupcakes have been made in the microwave. I use my microwave everyday, mostly for cooking vegetables, making pappads and for heating up and crisping food. However, cooking wholly using the microwave is something I do less frequently except while making jams or certain sweets.
I have to point out that the texture of these microwaved cupcakes is somewhat like a sponge cake and to be frank, if I had to choose I do prefer the oven baked version. That’s not to say these aren’t good. They are and I have made them quite a few times. There’s something to be said for a cupcake that can made from scratch, frosted and is ready to eat in under 20 minutes. The recipe is one of those I copied down a long time ago, so I have no idea about its origins. And this is how it goes.
Microwaved Chocolate Cupcakes with Fudge Frosting
For the cupcakes :
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour u2013 1 tbsps
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the fudge icing :
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp water boiling
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- strands Sugar decoration of choiceFor the cupcakes :
- For cupcakes : Put the butter, sugar, egg, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cocoa powder and water in a bowl and beat for 2 minutes.
- Divide this batter into 10 double thickness small paper cake cases (you may also use two paper cases for each to achieve this thickness). My cupcake cases were a bit larger so I got 8 cupcakes
- Arrange five filled cupcake cases in a circle on your MW turntable. Cook at 100% for about 2 minutes. The cooking time will vary with the microwaves so check after about 1 1/2 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted. Repeat with the remaining five filled cases. My turntable is on the larger side so I put in all 8 cases in one batch.
- Allow to cool.
- For the frosting : While the cupcakes are cooling, put the butter in a MW safe bowl. MW at 60% for 40 seconds to melt the butter. Add the cocoa powder, boiling water and mix. Add the icing sugar while stirring constantly to obtain a smooth paste.
- Spread the frosting over the warm cupcakes and decorate as preferred. Let the frosting set. Remove the extra paper case (if using) and serve.