We really like tomatoes here, even Akshaya does provided she cannot see the pieces of tomato in the dish. And when the tomatoes in question are green, it gets even better and I’m constantly trying new ways to cook them. I have already tried using them in many dishes in a combination with other vegetables as well as some where green tomatoes play the stellar role such as Green Tomato Khorma, Green Tomato Pickle and a Green Tomato And Onion Curry
Here is one more recipe starring the green tomato. This relish has a delightful flavour that comes from the slight tang of the green tomatoes coupled with the warmth of the spices.
Green Tomato Relish And Click: Wood
- 1 kg green tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 ginger finely chopped fresh
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- Put the chopped tomatoes, sugar, salt, ginger and whole spices in a heavy bottomed pan. Mix everything together, cover the pan and keep aside for about 3 to 4 hours (or even overnight, which is what I did)
- The sugar would have dissolved in the tomato juice, and there will be quite a bit of liquid in the pan. Place the pan on the stove and bring the contents to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium and allow to simmer until most of the liquid evapoprates to leave very little syrup and a thick relish.
- Remove the whole spices, allow the relish to cool and bottle.