Green tomatoes are not very easily available where I live. So when I do find them, I tend to buy them in slightly larger quantities. This is something I make whenever I find these tomatoes. There is nothing unusual or spectacular about this recipe. It is very easy to make and I do love it with chappathis and rice.
Green Tomato and Onion Curry (GF, V)
- 1 kg green tomatoes
- 2 - 3 onions , sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsps chopped ginger finely
- 2 tbsps jaggery powdered (or sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsps mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsps black gram dal (urad)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsps kashmiri chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafetida powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- to taste salt
- Chop each tomato into 8 pieces (into 4 pieces if the tomatoes are smaller).
- Heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the black gram dal and stir. When the dal has browned, add the fenugreek seeds, asafetida powder and the curry leaves. Stir once or twice and add the ginger and onions. Sautxe9 till transparent and soft. Now add the tomatoes and and the remaining ingredients. Mix well and allow to cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, till the tomatoes are cooked (they should be soft but not really mushy) and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve with chappathis or rice.