There’s no story behind these muffins, just some practical consideration. I had some strawberries left over from my last trip to the market, which could go waste. This would have been a shame, especially as they weren’t exactly inexpensive. Since no one wanted to eat them, I decided to disguise them in something else. A something else which would not take too much of time or effort on my part! This recipe for simple Strawberry Muffins appealed to me, given that I had everything required at hand and it wouldn’t take more than about 20 minutes to put together. The loads of positive reviews following this recipe swung it for me. You might want to take a look at the reviews because there are suggestions for lots of variations including spicing up or veganizing this recipe.
I don’t really like fruit in muffins because fruit goes mushy or squishy (call it what you will) when baked, making muffins a bit soggy in places where the fruit is. I don’t really like bananas in breads either, though I can be a monkey when it comes to eating bananas as they are. But I found these muffins surprisingly good, no sogginess and not too sweet. They make a perfect after school snack.
The strawberries I used here were not very sweet (now you know why there was no one to eat them!) so I just added 1 tsp of sugar after chopping them up and kept them aside for about 10 minutes before adding them to the flours. They will ooze juice if kept longer. If your strawberries are sweet, you don’t have to do this. You might also want to reduce the sugar a bit, if your strawberries are very sweet and you aren’t catering for a very sweet tooth!
I slightly adapted the recipe and what follows is my version. If you want a slightly lighter texture, you may substitute the whole wheat flour with all purpose flour, as in the original recipe.
Eggless Strawberry Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar granulated
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries chopped (not too fine)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbsps yogurt thick
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk lightly to mix well. Add the strawberries to the flour mixture and mix to ensure they are well coated with flour.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the vanilla extract, yogurt, milk and oil together. Add this to the strawberry-flour mixture and gently mix together, in a folding motion, about 4 or 5 times.
- Do not over stir, or the texture of your muffins will suffer. The batter will be somewhat lumpy and slightly floury. This is just fine. Grease your muffin tins/ cupsor line them with muffin liners and divide the batter equally between them, so that each one is about 2/3rds full.
- Bake at 190C (375F) for about 25 minutes till the muffins are done and lightly golden brown on top. Cool for 10 minutes, unmould them and cool completely on a rack.