I was watching Nigella Lawson on television the other day. She was cooking and feasting as she seems to do in most of the episodes and she was making Granola that particular day. She then made a parfait with some frozen raspberries (I think), topped it with the granola and served it up for breakfast.
I thought this was a great idea of a recipe with the contrast of creamy and crunchy and an extremely good way of starting the day with fruit and a calcium rich breakfast! Actually, I ‘d be happy eating it at any time of the day, and would definitely welcome it as a light summertime dessert.
I decided to use mangoes instead because mangoes are in season right now and I’m always ready to eat this fruit any which way. I also don’t get raspberries here.
It’s the mango season here in India and the perfect time to make this. I pureed fresh mango and froze it for this recipe. By the way, pureeing fresh mango and freezing it is a nice way to extend the mango season right into the monsoon!
In case you’re wondering why this Mango Parfait sounds more like a thick smoothie with the yogurt in it, a Parfait is different things in different countries. Traditionally, it’s a French frozen dessert made with sugar syrup, egg, alcohol and cream, and the name comes from the French word for “perfect”!
In the UK, it’s a meat dish (really)!! In the US and Canada, they’re usually layered desserts similar to sundaes and involve ice-cream or cream. Yogurt Parfaits are however made with yogurt, granola and fresh fruit.
The recipe for the Home-made Crunchy Granola is adapted from the Joy of Cooking and I have personalized it using ingredients that I usually have in stock in my kitchen.
Easy Mango Yogurt Parfait With Home-made Crunchy Granola
For the Crunchy Granola:
- 4 1/2 cups oats
- 3/4 cup almonds *
- 3/4 cup cashewnuts peanuts halved or shelled
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds melon seeds or (magaz)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup jaggery brown sugar powdered /
- 3 tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flakes (I used Kelloggs)
For the Mango Yogurt Parfait:
- 1 xbd cups mango puree , frozen
- 1 xbd cups yogurt fresh thick , chilled
- 2 bananas small
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the Granola : Loosely spread the mixture (in not too thick layers) onto two greased trays and bake at 170C (325F) for about 40 minutes until it is a nice medium brown colour. Stir the mixture a couple of times while baking to ensure uniform browning. Do watch the granola to see it doesnu2019t burn. Mix in the raisins and the wheat flakes as soon as you take the granola out of the oven. Allow to cool.
- When taken out of the oven, the granola will be a bit soft, but will become crunchy on cooling. Store in airtight containers.
- We like our Granola a little less sweet, but if you would like it sweeter then you could increase the amount of brown sugar/ jaggery to suit your taste.
- For the Mango Parfait : Put the bananas, mango puree, yogurt and vanilla in the blender and blend till smooth. Layer the parfait and granola in parfait glasses and top with granola. Otherwise just pour the parfait into the glass and top with the granola and serve.