I had some dates leftover from making date-filled rolls and was wondering how to use them up. I was reminded of a wonderful date and walnut cake we used to buy around Christmas every year when we were in Goa. There is a shop called “Mr. Baker” in the middle of Panjim, which is run by two dear ladies and their date and walnut cake is beyond compare (I have made my own version of this which is quite nice but nowhere near theirs). That will keep for another post.
Coming back to the topic at hand, I decided to use the dates in some muffins and the recipe follows.
I still have not managed to finish those dates, so you will probably see some other date recipe in the future!!
Date and Walnut Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- xbe cup whole wheat flour
- xbc cup wheat germ
- xbe cup brown sugar light
- 2 tsps baking powder
- xbc tsp baking soda
- xbd tsp salt
- xbd cup dates , deseeded
- xbd cup walnuts
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg (optional, I made these muffins without )
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Chop the the dates and walnuts into smaller pieces. I pulsed them, separately, in my blender. The walnuts will need to be pulsed just once while the dates would need a little more.
- Set the oven to 200C.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Put all the wet ingredients in another bowl and mix well. Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and fold so that everything is just mixed. If the batter is a bit lumpy, thatu2019s okay. If the batter is over-mixed, the muffins will not be soft and springy in texture. Spoon the batter into greased muffin cups/ pan about 2/3 full. Bake for about 15 to 2o minutes.
- Cool slightly, remove to a rack. This recipe makes 12 muffins. I made 10 as my muffin cups are slightly on the larger side.