I made this bread about ten days back and wanted to do a post but didn’t get around to it. I thought I should do this before this year was over and also wanted to submit it for this month’s Bread Baking Day.
I used a basic bread dough recipe and added some dry herbs. Then I made up a filling and shaped the bread according to instructions given by The Prepared Pantry. Actually it was the way this bread that was shaped that was the inspiration behind my baking this particular bread.
Bread With Onion, Tomato and Bell Pepper Filling
For the filling:
- 3 onions , finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum), finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp aniseed
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder (or sugar)
- to taste salt
For the bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsps active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps paneer cottage cheese crumbled /
- 2 tbsps cheddar cheese grated
- For the filling: Heat the oil, add the ginger and garlic pastes and stir. Add the onions and sautxe9 till soft and transparent. Now add the tomatoes and allow to cook till most of the moisture has disappeared.
- Add the the bell pepper and allow to cook but still crunchy. Now add the cumin, chilli and jaggery powder and salt. Mix well and you should have a filling somewhat moisture-free filling or your bread would become soggy.
- For the bread: To half a cup of warm water, add the sugar and yeast. Add the proven yeast to the flour, salt, herbs and oil and mix into a soft dough with more water as necessary. I did this in my food processor but you may knead it by hand. Cover and allow to double in volume.
- Once this is done, punch down the dough and press out into a rectangle. See this post for pictorial instructions for shaping the dough into a braid. I followed this method. I used my filling and then sprinkled the crumbled paneer and grated cheese before completing the braiding of the bread.
- Once this is done, allow the bread to rise till about double in size. Brush with water. Bake at 190C(375F) for about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack.