If I had to choose between apples and mangoes I would pick mangoes, hands down, every single time. Tell me to pick either apples or bananas and you know I’ll choose bananas. Give me apple pie though, and I might pick it over anything else. I love apple pie in almost any form and recently I tried my hand at Apple Pie Ice-Cream.
So far I have always made ice-cream without an ice-cream machine. For a long time it was simply because we didn’t have them in India. Once Amazon started a dedicated shopping in India, I started seeing Ice-cream machines on their website. These were mostly imported American brands which were very expensive. Then a while back I started seeing less expensive and more local but a couple of brands with good reviews.
I finally decided to buy one early this year. January might seem an odd month to buy an ice-cream maker. I agree as it’s normally a cooler time of the year. This year though, we haven’t seen much of a cool weather. It’s just been uncomfortably warm throughout last December and thereon. It’s just the beginning of March but it feels like the height of summer. So it’s definitely ice-cream time.
Coincidentally, the brand whose ice-cream maker I was considering got in touch with me. It turned out that they had come across me on Instagram and loved my photography. They sent me their ice-cream maker as a gift! I will say it’s turned out to be a much appreciated gift. The texture of ice-creams are much better now.
Why did I choose to make an Apple Pie Ice-cream, though? Mostly nostalgia. Many, many years ago we were in Portugal and I had my first taste of Apple Pie Ice-cream there. This version had pieces of crisp pie crust in it as well. My version has no crust but serve this ice-cream with something crisp like ginger cookies or something similar and it will come close.
Apple Pie Ice-Cream
For the Apple Pie Filling :
- 1/8 cup brown sugar packed
- 15 gm butter
- 2 to 3 medium apples
- 1 tsp powdered cinnamon
For the Apple Pie Ice-Cream :
- 2 cups chilled cream Amul fresh cream 25% or equivalent
- 1 400 ml can sweetened condensed milk chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups apple pie filling
To make the Apple Pie Filling :
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4" sized pieces. Put the brown sugar, butter, apple pieces and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir until the butter is melted and turn down the heat. Let it simmer till the apples are cooked but still hold their shape. Let it cool. Refrigerate this filling so it is well chilled.
To make the ice-cream base :
- You will need about two cups of apple pie filling for the ice-cream. Blend about 3/4 cup of this filling till smooth and set aside.
- Beat the chilled cream with a hand mixer till somewhat stiff peaks form. Beat the condensed milk, vanilla extract and pureed apple pie filling into the cream till blended. Fold in remaining the 1 1/4 cup apple pie filling into the ice-cream.
- Transfer the ice-cream into the ice-cream churner, following instructions accompanying the machine. Then transfer to a metal container and freeze till ready to serve.
- If not using an ice-cream machine, transfer to a metal container and freeze for about 4 hours. Remove from the freezer and run in the food processor to break up any ice crystal formation. Return to freezer until ready to serve.