It is rather hot these days, but I’m not complaining. This summer has been a lot more comfortable than the last one which was pretty bad. For the past 2 days, even though the sun has been beating down, there’s been this wonderful breeze that keeps blowing in from across the river throughout the day. In fact I’ve had to place weights on all the papers and move lightweight stuff to ensure it doesn’t all get swept away every time the curtains do a tango with the breeze.
There’s something special about sitting indoors in the easy chair on a quiet lazy summer afternoon with the breeze through my hair, watching the coconut palms doing a graceful dance to their own rustling music and the river beyond sparkling on and off as it flows on to join the sea.
One thing I’m really not doing these days is baking. For one thing, it is too hot to bake. Secondly, my main motivation for baking is away on a month’s vacation and last but not least I can personally do with a break from all that flour, sugar and butter!
Yet, this is a post about cake. I last made this cake about a month and a half back, forgot all about posting it till I was looking through a folder of photographs that needed to be edited. Some photographs of this Strawberry Buttermilk Cake were in there as well and so here’s the post!
You might infer that if I had forgotten all about posting this cake, then perhaps that was because this cake wasn’t anything much to remember? Let me assure you that that is not so. While it might not be the best cake out there, it is a good cake and needs to be posted. Put down the lapse in memory to my advancing years (though I’m far from having a foot in the grave!), my hormones (I like to blame them for a lot of things!!) or the summer heat addling my brains.
This a good cake to make for evening tea, or even to serve as a light dessert with some ice-cream or frozen yogurt on the side. The best part is that you can showcase the season’s fruit with this cake. Use other berries or even mangoes or fresh figs for a change.
Eggless Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
(Adapted from Gourmet)
An Eggless Strawberry Buttermilk Cake And The Winners Of The GiveawayAre……
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50 gm butter , softened
- 1/2 cup sugar Demerara (or brown )
- 1 1/2 tbsps sugar granulated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup strawberries fresh , chopped
- Put the butter and the Demerara sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed, for about 2 minutes till pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat well.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix into the butter-sugar mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, in 2 batches with the mixer on low speed till combined. Do not over-mix.
- Scrape the batter into a greased and floured 8u201d cake pan, smoothing the top with a spoon. Scatter the strawberry pieces evenly over top. Uniformly sprinkle the 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar over this.
- Bake at 200C (400F) for about 30 minutes or so, until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into centre comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then unmould and cool on a rack. Serve.