Hawaiian Multigrain Crust Pizza
A pizza with sweet and savoury flavours, topped with tomato sauce, red and green bell peppers, onions, sweet corn and pineapple chunks.
For the base:
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 1/2 tsps active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats powdered
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
For the toppings:
- marinara sauce
- 11/2 cup fresh or canned pineapple chunks
- 1 cup red bell peppers sliced or chopped
- 1 cup green bell peppers sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs (or to taste)
- 3/4 tsp dried red chilli flakes (or to taste)
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- grated Cheddar cheese (optional)
Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm milk and allow the yeast to prove.
If you cannot find oat flour, run rolled oats in the mixer/ blender till you have as fine a powder as possible.
Put the flours, salt, oil and the yeast mixture in the bowl of the processor. Process, adding just enough water to make a soft and elastic dough. You may do this by hand. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead further for a couple of minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise till double in volume.
Deflate the dough and press it out into a circle. Place on a pizza pan or tray dusted with semolina or cornmeal. Brush the dough with some olive oil. Spread the marinara sauce on the dough and then the toppings over this. Garnish with herbs and chilli flakes. Bake at 230C (450F) for about 15 to 20 minutes till the base is brown and the cheese is bubbly.
Add the cheese about 5 minutes before the pizza is ready to come out of the oven.