Some Tips That Might Help!
1. It is easy to make your own Speculoos spice mix, and you will see the difference in your cookies. If you can find the spices, then powder them yourself for a better flavour, rather than using spice powders to make this up.
2. Don’t overwork the dough. If you do, your Speculoos will become hard, like crackers. Some people make Speculoos this way and they taste just as good, but can be a bit hard on the teeth.
3. If the dough is feeling a little too dry after refrigeration, you can add a little but more water to make it pliable.
4. Make sure your dough is really cold before you make the Speculoos. Otherwise the pattern will not come out as clearly as it should. If your dough becomes warm, put it back in the fridge for a while.
5. If you are using new moulds you have to season them first. The previous night use a little cooking oil and generously wipe the moulds with it. They moulds will drink up the oil and they should have a slight shine the next morning but not be greasy.
6. If your moulds are new, generously flour them so the dough releases easily. You might find the dough sticking to the mould the first few times.
7. Gently brush off the excess flour from the Speculoos after baking.
8. Wash the moulds in mildly warm water and dry them before storing. A toothbrush works well to get the dough in the depressions in the moulds while washing.