Pesarattu - Savoury Moong Bean & Rice Pancakes (GF, V)
Pesarattu is a breakfast dish I make often. These are slightly thick dosas/ adais (savoury pancakes) made from a batter of soaked and ground whole moong beans and raw rice. Very healthy and very filling, the Pesarattu comes from the Indian state of Andra Pradesh.
- Soak the moong beans and rice together for about 4 hours
- Drain and grind in the blender, usin water as required, to a slightly thick and coarse paste along with all the other ingredients
- This batter does not need to be fermented. If not using immediately, refrigerate till needed
- To make the Pesarattu/ pancakes, pour a ladleful of batter on a hot cast iron griddle on medium heat and spread into a circle as you would to make a dosa.
- Drizzle 1/2 a tsp of oil around the pancake and cook on both sides till brownish and done. Transfer to a plate and use up the batter in this way.
- Serve hot with a chutney. A good traditional accompaniment to this savoury pancake soft, home-made unsalted or powdered jaggery.