Penne with Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce (V)
"Shall we have pasta for lunch/ dinner?" is a question that my daughter loves to hear. She likes pasta as much as she does pizza, and it would be a tough decision for her make a choice between the two. For me, cooking pasta usually means a filling and satisfying one-dish meal without having to spend too much time in the kitchen.
Last week, my husband was away on work so it was just the two of us at home. It has been getting pretty warm here and the last thing I wanted to do was spend time in the kitchen. But we were both feeling quite hungry and Akshaya wanted pasta.
Right at the top of vegetable bin in my fridge, were some red bell peppers (capsicum) which I needed to use up as we would be away on a short vacation later in the week. We were not in the mood for anything heavy or with cheese in it, so I came up with this slightly different sauce to serve with the pasta.
For the sauce:
- Cook the penne in adequately salted water till done "al dente". Drain, rinse in cold water and drain. Add 1 tsp oil and mix well till the pasta is well coated. This will keep the penne from sticking. Keep aside.
- To make the sauce : Lightly brush the bell pepper (capsicum) with oil and roast/ grill till the outer skin is well blistered. Rub off or peel the skin and chop the bell pepper into pieces. Similarly roast/ grill the tomatoes, peel them and chop them up.
- Heat 1 tsp oil and sauté the onions till soft and light brown. Allow to cool a little bit. Now puree the chopped bell pepper, the tomato, the caramelized onions and the walnuts.
- Heat the 1 tbsp of olive oil; add the garlic paste and sauté a couple of times. Add the puree, chilli flakes and salt and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat, adding a bit of water to adjust the sauce to required consistency. Add the honey and the herbs. Cook for another minute and take the sauce off the heat.
- Serve warm over penne (garnishing with cheese if preferred) with some salad and/ or fruit on the side.