Chocolate Chip Covered Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes
I made these cupcakes for Akshaya to take for a school trip last week. Their lunch was taken care of by the school but the kids had to carry food for snacking on. So apart from stocking up on all sorts of junk food (she and her friends had actually planned out in advance who was bringing what!), Akshaya wanted some cupcakes to take along "just in case of an emergency if lunch turns out to be terrible" . She was also particular that she wanted "plain" vanilla cupcakes (no frosting, please) because she hadn't had any in a long time.
I adapted Wilton's Basic Yellow Cupcakes by leaving out the eggs and increasing the milk a bit. These cupcakes turned out to be very soft with a lightly crusty top and were just perfect. After I had spooned the batter into the cupcake liners I thought that they looked a little too plain and wanted to jazz them up a bit. So I sprinkled some semi-sweet mini chocolate chips on top of the cupcakes before baking them.
For someone who was looking for "plain" cupcakes I didn't hear any complaints from my daughter. In fact, the next day morning (a Sunday), she had a three part breakfast where the first and last part consisted of one each of these cupcakes!
As for me, I now have a perfect "plain" cupcake recipe which I can adapt according to my requirement.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and keep aside. (If cake flour is not available use all purpose flour. For each cup of flour used, put 1 tsp of cornstarch in the measuring cup and then top up with all purpose flour to make a cup of flour)
- In a bowl, using an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar till light. Add the vanilla extract to the milk and add the milk and flour alternately to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. After the last addition, beat well for a minute.
- Line muffin/ cupcake tins with paper liners and spoon enough batter into each cupcake liner till it is 2/3rds full. Sprinkle about a tsp of chocolate chips over each.
- Bake at 180C for about 25 minutes till a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. When done, the cupcakes will be very lightly golden brown around the top edge.
- Cool completely on a rack.
This recipe gave me 24 medium sized cupcakes. The Wilton recipe says I should get 12 cupcakes with this recipe and I'm wondering how big their cupcake liners/ moulds are!