Bread With Onion, Tomato and Bell Pepper Filling
I made this bread about ten days back and wanted to do a post but didn’t get around to it. I thought I should do this before this year was over and also wanted to submit it for this month’s Bread Baking Day.
For the filling:
For the bread:
- For the filling: Heat the oil, add the ginger and garlic pastes and stir. Add the onions and sauté till soft and transparent. Now add the tomatoes and allow to cook till most of the moisture has disappeared.
- Add the the bell pepper and allow to cook but still crunchy. Now add the cumin, chilli and jaggery powder and salt. Mix well and you should have a filling somewhat moisture-free filling or your bread would become soggy.
- For the bread: To half a cup of warm water, add the sugar and yeast. Add the proven yeast to the flour, salt, herbs and oil and mix into a soft dough with more water as necessary. I did this in my food processor but you may knead it by hand. Cover and allow to double in volume.
- Once this is done, punch down the dough and press out into a rectangle. See this post for pictorial instructions for shaping the dough into a braid. I followed this method. I used my filling and then sprinkled the crumbled paneer and grated cheese before completing the braiding of the bread.
- Once this is done, allow the bread to rise till about double in size. Brush with water. Bake at 190C(375F) for about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack.